Anyone can offer their services as an air conditioner repair company, but the sad truth is that not everyone that does this is competent or trustworthy. This fact makes it all the more important for you to know what to look for when choosing an AC repair company and how to make sure the person you hire is going to do a good job and not take you for a ride.
1. Ask friends, family members, and co-workers if they have had any good experiences with AC companies in your area. If they are able to recommend someone it is probably safe to assume that you can trust them to do the job properly.
2. Search online using keywords like “AC company near me” or “local air conditioner repair” and see what pops up. Generally, if a business has a website you can assume they are serious about their business to some degree and it is worth your time to pay them a visit and ask for an estimate.
3. Read reviews and testimonials left by previous customers online when you find the company’s website. If you have a choice between two companies and one has several pages worth of reviews left by their happy customers while the other does not, it’s probably safe to assume that the one with reviews is more trustworthy.
Finding A Reliable Air Conditioning Repair Technician
A good air conditioning repair technician is one who will always show up on time, stick to his original bid and not attempt to do unnecessary work. He should be able to give you a clear explanation of what caused the malfunction and what he plans to do about it.
1. Ask for referrals from friends and family members. If they have had any experience with air conditioning repair technicians in the past then they are likely to know which ones are good and which are not.
2. Check online for local air conditioning service companies and take note of the ratings you see there. Going with someone who has many favorable reviews will help ensure that you end up with a qualified technician.
3. Look up the technician on the BBB website to see if he has any complaints filed against him. If you are able to find evidence that customers have had problems with him in the past then it is likely best not to hire him.
Look For Service Agreements
When you are looking for an air conditioning repair company it is important to ask them about their warranty policy before you hire them. You want to make sure that they are willing to offer a warranty that covers parts and labor for at least one year or more. The longer the better, but if they are unwilling to offer this then you may have to reconsider hiring them.
Generally, AC repair companies do not provide warranties because it is too risky for them. If you are able to find one that is willing to give you a warranty then this should increase your trust in them significantly. The last thing you want is for the technician to come out and fix your air conditioner only for it to stop working again the next day.
When all else fails you could try to find a local HVAC professional on sites like Craigslist or in the phone book. This is not always the wisest choice, but sometimes it can be well worth your time. Just make sure they include an estimate and some information about their experience before you meet them.